Last updated on January 26, 2021
After Ryan’s Restaurant was demolished in Sylva, it wasn’t long before retail shops began to be constructed. While there has been much speculation about what will be located within the retail shops, we can confirm that one of the shops will soon be occupied by the fast-casual sub sandwich franchise, Jersey Mike’s Subs.
The shopping plaza, located in front of Walmart in Sylva features a “Coming Soon” sign for the sub sandwich franchise, and according to Jersey Mike’s, the Sylva location is expected to open in late May.
The Sylva location is part of a nationwide expansion launched by the sub-franchise which currently has more than 2,500 locations open and under development nationwide. Jersey Mike’s mission explains that the restaurant believes that making a sub sandwich and making a difference can be one and the same. Jersey Mike’s offers a Sub Above, serving authentic fresh sliced/fresh grilled subs on freshly baked bread – the same recipe it started with in 1956.
Jersey Mike’s subs are authentic and have fresh sliced/fresh grilled subs served Mike’s Way® with the freshest vegetables – onions, lettuce, tomatoes – and there’s The Juice – an exquisite zing of red wine vinegar and olive oil blended to perfection.
The restaurant uses only premium meats and cheeses sliced on the spot and piled high on delectable bread that’s baked fresh in the restaurants throughout the day. (Udi’s gluten free bread is now available too!)
Everything is quickly made to order for each customer, just the way the first subs were made at the original Jersey Mike’s 65 years ago.
Mike’s Subs opened as a storefront location in the seaside town of Point Pleasant, N.J. in 1956. It offered unparalleled service and exceptional quality submarine sandwiches, which were a new concept at the time. Because of its location on the Jersey Shore, it grew quickly in popularity among the thousands of surf and sun-seekers from New York to Philadelphia to Washington, D.C.
By the early 1970s, Mike’s Subs was a thriving landmark famous for its lively and friendly service and its fresh, quality submarine sandwiches. In 1975, Peter Cancro, a 17-year-old high school senior who had worked for Mike’s Subs since he was 14 and loved the business, bought the operation with the help of his football coach. At the time, Peter wasn’t even old enough to legally slice a sub.
In 1987, Peter began franchising the Mike’s concept, changing the name to Jersey Mike’s Subs to capture the authenticity of the original store. Today, Peter is CEO of Jersey Mike’s Franchise Systems, Inc., headquartered in Manasquan, NJ.
Peter was named #1 Most Admired Fast-casual Leader in QSR’s 2019 Reader’s Choice Awards and a “Culture Champion” on Nation’s Restaurant News’ Power List 2017. He was also named the International Franchise Association’s “Entrepreneur of the Year” and a Golden Chain Award Winner by Nation’s Restaurant News in 2013.
“Giving…making a difference in someone’s life” has always been a guiding principle at Jersey Mike’s. It’s a philosophy that Jersey Mike’s Founder and CEO Peter Cancro has emphasized to each and every Jersey Mike’s store owner: support the community that supports you.
Since 2010, locations throughout the country have raised more than $50 million for local charities. Here are some examples:
• Each March, Jersey Mike’s celebrates its annual “Month of Giving.” The national fundraiser culminates on “Day of Giving,” the last Wednesday of March, when Jersey Mike’s franchise owners donate 100 percent of the day’s sales — not just profit — to local charities across the country. Since 2011, Jersey Mike’s and our generous customers have raised more than $32 million.
• Responding to COVID-19, Jersey Mike’s franchise owners across the country donated millions of sub sandwiches to healthcare workers, seniors, children, and others. The company also donated $4.5
million to Feeding America, $1 million to Aaron Judge’s ALL RISE Foundation, and $1 million to support the USTA Foundation’s mission to bring tennis and education together to change lives.
• In 2020, Jersey Mike’s raised more than $700,000 for local community partners including schools, hospitals, and other worthy organizations as part of fundraisers to celebrate the openings of 210 new locations across the country.
Fast Facts about Jersey Mike’s Subs
• #1 Fastest-growing Sandwich Chain in the 2020 Nation’s Restaurant News Top 200.
• Named to Newsweek’s 2020 list of America’s Best Customer Service.
• #7 on Entrepreneur’s 2021 Franchise 500, Jersey Mike’s third year on the Franchise 500 top 10 list.
• Named one of the 9 Best Franchise Deals 2019 by QSR magazine.
• #27 on the Franchise Times Fast & Serious List (2021) for “Smartest Growing Franchise.”
• Ranked in: QSR magazine’s 2020 The QSR Top 50 (#31), 2020 Restaurant Business/Technomic Top 500
(#46), and Franchise Times’ 2020 Top 200 (#83) and 2020 Multi-Unit Franchisee’s Multi-Unit 50 (#30).
• Jersey Mike’s was voted the best sandwich chain in America, with more than 16,000 votes cast in a poll by Ranker.
• Recipient of 2015 CIO 100 Award by CIO magazine and two Hospitality Technology Restaurant Breakthrough Awards, in 2014 and 2012, for the company’s single proprietary, fully integrated technology platform.
For more information, please visit www.jerseymikes.com.
**If you find value in the work produced by The Southern Scoop News and want to see it continue, please consider being a patron on our online funding platform, Patreon. Your continuations help ensure that we are able to continue to provide the community with quality, timely, community news in Western North Carolina. To donate, please click here.